It all started in 1903, in Milwaukee, when Arthur and Walter Davidson and Bill Harley set out to build the first Harley-Davidson Motorcycle. By 1920, they were the largest motorcycle manufacturer in the world.
In the 1960's, other manufacturers were out-performing the Harley's and this was a struggle for the next 30 years. The 2004 model was a real turning point as the Sportster line came out with major engine improvements, stiffer frames, new brakes, improved finish and a new engine rubber-mounting system.
The 1200R Sportster Roadster embodies the radical transformation of the Sportster family for 2004 – A completely new motorcycle and redesigned powertrain that exude, stronger than ever, the very essence of the Sportster family when it was launched in 1957 and throughout it’s almost 50 year history. The look, sound, and feel of the 1200R herald the day when Sportster began its middleweight custom domination. And the powerful 1200 Evolution engine, dual front disc brakes, tachometer and increased redline prove that this Roadster is as fun to ride as it is to look at.
2004 Harley Davidson XL 1200R Sportster Roadster
- Year Built: 2004
- Vehicle Type XL 1200R Roadster
- Built By: Harley Davidson
- Chassis: 60 inch wheel base, 577 pounds, 5-speed transmission, 4.1 gallon fuel capacity (including .8 gallon reserve)
- Engine: 2 cylinder, 1200 cc, 45 degree, V-Type, 4-cycle, 9.7-1 compression, 79 ft lbs torque @ 3500 rpm
- Owner: Estrella Warbirds Museum