This Ranier-Lundy Ford Thunderbird was driven by Davey Allison in his 1987 rookie Winston Cup season. Team Manager and engine builder, Robert Yates, later bought this car, known as "Morning Star" and four others to form Robert Yates Racing.
Harry Ranier started the team with new sponsorship, a rookie driver and a new crew chief/engine builder. With the help of crew chief, Joey Knight, Davey, at age 26, won two races and rookie of the year in 1987.
The team would start the season at Daytona on the last row. The next race at Rockingham, North Carolina, would see Davey on the pole. On May 3rd at Talladega, AL, starting in the third spot, Davey won his first Winston Cup event. Two races later, at Dover Delaware, Davey won his second Winston Cup race starting from the outside pole position.
1987 NASCAR Winston Cup
- Year Built: 1987
- Vehicle Type: Thunderbird Stock Car
- Built By: Laughlin Chassis
- Transmission: Borg Warner Super T10 4-speed manual
- Engine: Robert Yates Ford, 358 cubic inch, aluminum heads, single 4 barrel carb., approx 800 horsepower
- Owner: Woodland Family Collection